Jan 20, 2010

Two Stroke, Four Stroke, Chad Reed's Hand Broke -SX 2010


Phoenix Supercross 2010 Blog - Images by Jennifer Stewart

Growing up in the desert, we were always playing or riding in the dirt. I believe that is why I am so drawn to the offroad type races. This past weekend, I had the opportunity to shoot my first Supercross. I have gone to the Supercross for the past 6 years, being able to shoot it has been a new experience.

After circling the entire Chase Field trying to find my credentials, I was exhausted when I reached the press box. I wanted to kill someone. However, I was immediately greeted with open arms by the PR personal of Supercross. They were more than helpful, thanks Brandon!

Once I was all set up, I made my way down to the track. Standing in the dirt with the smell of two stroke in the air and my cameras on my arms, I was all smiles. My initial goal was to get the dynamics of track down. See the jumps, turns and straight aways. Although the areas in which media was allowed to stand was fairly limited. Once you were in a spot for a race, you were stuck in it until it was over. This made it extremely difficult to get a strong variety during one race. I made it a point to move all over the place to get all angles covered.

I quickly learned how difficult it was to get head shots of the racers without their helmets on. Fortunately before each heat, all the drivers could huddle around the main tunnel without their goggles on and was able to get a few colorful shots.

AMA Supercross rider Ryan Dungey.



Back up in the press box, prior to the main events, I was speaking with Brandon about the opening ceremonies. He explained how they turn off all the lights in the arena and the main racers would be introduced and would each come out of a different area on the track. I decided it would be who of me to stay in the press box and shot the intros with the 400mm. This way I had a birds eye view of each rider. It was very much worth it.

AMA Supercross rider Ryan Dungey.


Earlier in the day, when I snapped off a quick shot of my view from the press box, I found this really neat reflection above me. The lights in the press box were covered with this panels. When I stood on the table and placed the camera right up next to it, the reflection created a really awesome shot.



Once back down at the track, I was able to do some slow shutter speeds since I was not able to cross the track yet.

Lites West Supercross rider Ryan Morais.



Once the main event started, I was pretty overwhelmed. With only 20 laps to race, I was trying to capture shots from all different angles and variations.

At the podiums for the lites race, I noticed the big "M" for Monster and played around with a few shot ideas. I really liked the grid at the bottom of the podium with the "M" on it, so I ducked my way into the center and got low enough to incorporate it into my photo. I really like how it turned out for both race podiums.

AMA Supercross riders (from left) Ryan Villopoto , second place , Ryan Dungey , first place , Joshua Hill , third place celebrates on the podium following the Monster Energy Supercross race at Chase Field.








No comments:

Post a Comment