Feb 24, 2010

NHRA 50th Anniversary Winternationals


NHRA Pomona Winternationals - Images by Jennifer Stewart
I've heard so much about the Auto Club Raceway in Pomona, CA. The history, the museum but primarily about the great light. When I found out I was to shoot it, I was very excited. Looking back through my photos, as I was preparing them for this blog, I honestly feel as a photographer, that I truly stepped up my game. I know the sport better now and am more comfortable with my Nikon gear.  I am proud to say that this was one of my best shoots yet.

Friday was a pretty low key day. Will Lester and I played around in the garage for a few. If you have never been to an NHRA event, then I'm not sure you can truly appreciate this. In the garage/pits the fans walk up and down the isles of vehicles waiting for the sound of an engine to roar. Once they hear it, they run over to the back of the vehicle and stand in the cloud of exhaust and fumes. For those of you who don't understand why they are covering their faces, well nitro fumes are by far the worst smell around. Your eyes tear up and you can't breath.


As you can see below, funny car driver Tony Pedregon, and his crew, wear gas masks while they do they do this. These fans are intense!!


When qualifying began, I made my way to top end. Didn't take long for some action. NHRA top fuel dragster driver Andy Carter engine explodes.



As the sun was setting, I was finally able to witness the beautiful light all the photographers speak of. Funny car driver Del Worsham.



Not too long later, NHRA funny car driver Terry Haddock (left) catches fire while racing along side Ron Capps during qualifying.



Saturday morning I was really feeling it. Once I was geared up, I made my way to the pits to work my butt off!

NHRA top fuel dragster driver Brandon Bernstein with his new sponsor Copart prior to qualifying.


NHRA funny car driver Bob Bode sits in his car prior to qualifying.



NHRA funny car driver Jack Beckman points at me as he sits in the staging lanes.



NHRA funny car driver Robert Hight prior to qualifying.



Starting my day at the starting line, I made it a point to shoot every car differently.

A slow pan for NHRA funny car driver Robert Hight as he does a burn out during qualifying.


Since it was the 50th Anniversary Winternationals, I had to incorporate the theme. Here's NHRA funny car driver Terry Haddock doing a burn out.



Then I spot a drain hole in the k walls and shoot NHRA funny car driver Paul Lee doing his burn out.


I'm a sucker for Ron Capps NAPA car, so I had to try it one more time for him. There were no guarantees for these shots, but I was surprisingly happy with the outcome.


While waiting for the pro cars to race, Will Lester and I were chatting when some competition eliminators were wrapping up their session. They are much quieter than the bigger vehicles and at top end, you can't hear them take off.  

All of a sudden out of the corner of both or our eyes, we see Tyler Hogan make a sharp left! We both shout, "OH SHIT!" Grab our cameras and start shooting! My first few frames were out of focus but I still nailed a few shots.







NHRA alcohol dragster driver Brittney Force rides with father funny car driver John Force during qualifying


As it started to get dark and the cars slowly became silhouettes, funny car driver Terry Haddock put off some nice flames to lighten things up.


I love the sparks!





At this point in the evening, I should have moved to get some sweet flame shots from the starting line, but I also liked how the cars were silhouetted and you couldn't see much but the flames.


Funny car driver John Force's parachutes make a great pattern in the air.


Sunday morning they had all the old school "Woody" station wagons lined up for a pre race parade. I actually rode in one of them, but didn't get anything I was that excited about.



On my way back to through the pits, I heard fans cheering as John Force signed some autographs.


After driver announcements, Antron Brown struck a pose for me.


Up at top end for the first round of eliminations, the heat waves were awful and it made it difficult for images to look in focus as you can see with funny car driver Bob Tasca (left) racing along side Melanie Troxel.


I made my way to the stands.


Then to the other side of the stands for round 3.


It also had a great view of the mountains behind it.



Finally to top end for the final round. What's fun about this, is you can shoot the cars running their race, then put down your gear and run over to where the drivers get out of their cars to celebrate.


John Force got a cold congratulations!


NHRA pro stock driver Mike Edwards (left), top fuel dragster driver Larry Dixon, funny car driver John Force celebrates on the podium following the Kragen O'Reilly Winternationals at Auto Club Raceway.



Being at the right place at the right time, is always nice. As I was getting ready to transmit the rest of my photos for the even, John Force walks right by me. I just love this shot.










1 comment: