Nov 4, 2009

NHRA Vegas Nationals



Driving out to Las Vegas for the NHRA Las Vegas Nationals, my stomach was in knots. I had never covered a whole event by myself before nor have I ever stayed at a hotel alone. Needless to say, I was very nervous. Although being Halloween weekend, I broke the nerves by stopping at Walmart to make my Halloween costume...more to come.



Once I got my approval to shoot at top end, Will Lester and I made our way out there. The light was harsh and made for some boring shots. But I was able to get a nice one of top alcohol dragster driver Dennis Swearingen.



The light was much better at the starting line, so I made my way up there to shoot some wide photos.



Pro stock driver Jeg Coughlin does a burn out.



Funny car driver Mike Neff launches off the starting line next to John Force.



I was lucky to catch funny car driver Bob Tasca III in the screen as he does a burn out.



In the 1st round of qualifying, Robert Hight (left) gets the upper hand early on teammate Ashley Force Hood as they make their first pass against each.



I made my way to the opposite side of the starting line. I knew that my shots would be back lit, but I thought I would give it a try anyway. After a few runs, I decided the other side was better. Although, I do like this one with the stands in the background.



As the 2nd round of qualifying began, I was looking forward to sunset. It was much more promising for beautiful light.



Funny car driver Ron Capps (left) races along side Jim Head.



Matt Hagan (left) makes a career best pass as he beats Tony Pedregon.



Top fuel dragster driver Larry Dixon (left) races along side Lex Joon as it appears that he blows out a head gasket.



Halloween morning I woke up early to start working on my tutu! The finished product to come...



Saturday morning I had the pleasure to shoot on the roof of the grandstands for my first time with Will and David Allio. It was pretty neat! I didn't have to fight for elbow room or worry about burnt rubber all over my face.

I used the 70-200 on the roof to shoot the races. It made for nice clean shots and allowed room for me to zoom out if something were to happen.

Dragster driver Larry Dixon (top) makes another great pass that keeps him in the lead as he races along side Tony Schumacher



Funny car driver Matt Hagan (left) races along side Robert Hight.



I would then use my second camera with the 400mm to get clean burn out shots. The problem with being on the roof for these shoots is all the chaos that goes on down at the starting line. You have all the crew members and photographers down there in your way.



But if you wait a little longer, you can get a cleaner shot.



Ashley does a burn out.



As I'm waiting for the next session begin, I see John Force ride up on his scooter as everyone starts to cheer. I've always wanted my own John/scooter photo. So he stops in front of the crowd, waves his hat, does a bow and gets back on his scooter and drives away.



For the 4th round of qualifying and as the sun was setting and all the halloween costumes started to emerge, I broke out the tutu as we made our way to top end.


Photo by Will Lester





Del Cox Jr was making a good pass until his engine ignited a bit of a fire ball.





I really liked Mike Strasburg chutes.



Dragster driver Spencer Massey as his helmets reflects off the evening light during qualifying.



Out of the corner of my eye, I catch a bit of a fire...If only these mountains where on the other side of the track!



A fan texting, watches alone in some other grandstands.



Funny car driver Ashley Force Hood.



Mark made a comment that I left my shoots too wide as the cars raced down the drag strip. But I just loved how "The Strip" sign in the background really set the stage and framed the cars.

Funny car driver Tony Pedregon (left) and Ron Capps.



Sunday was a busy day! I started my day in the grandstands, since I couldn't get access to the roof. To be honest, nothing from this spot was worth posting. The light was awful and being as short as I am, many heads ended up in my shots. Fail.

The two most exciting races of this round were teammates Robert Hight and Ashley Force Hood race. Below they do a burn out side by side.



Unfortunately for Ashley they weren't side by side for long as Robert beat her pretty badly.



And John Force and Cruz Pedregon. Having met only one other time this season and a few words being exchanged about Pedregon losing to Force's daughter, I could feel the tension in the stands.





Back to top end for a little work out of running from the track to the drivers getting out of their cars.

Antron Brown



Tony Schumacher (left) congratulates teammate Cory McClenathan.



Then the next big talked about battle, Robert Hight and John Force.



Hight wins.





Back to the roof where I was determined to get a nice general view shot. I wasn't quite feeling my test shots. I could deal with the shadows, it was the wall/roof that was driving me nuts.



So I hung the camera just over the ledge. Much better.



As the weekend finally came to an end, I had quite the problems. First, I have never used an on camera flash. Second, I didn't have a flash. Third, the celebrations were in the dark. Lovely.

Between Will and Richard, I was temporarily donated a flash. Awesome?! No. Then my 24-70mm wasn't syncing with the flash. Everything was way to hot. Thankfully Richard saved me with his lens.

Cool, so I can fake the look of a paparazzi, now I have to figure out how the heck the camera and flash talk to each other! Thank goodness for all the awesome photog's out there that were more than willing to help me! Thanks guys, I would have been lost with out you!!

I know I didn't post any pro stock motorcycles, but Andrew Hines took first with a heck of a weekend.



Larry Morgan for Pro Stock was very happy to receive his trophy!



As Hight pulled up, everyone was in a mad dash to get him getting out of car. What I thought was gonna suck as I was pushed out of the way, made for a great reaction of him jumping out the roof of his vehicle.



Finally, a very excited Spencer Massey.
















2 comments:

  1. Great work!!! So Happy to see you starting to get the exposure in the magazines that you deserve!! Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great to see you sticking to your own style. Great shots as usual.

    ReplyDelete