Jul 27, 2009

First time shooting a drag race. Holy crap nitro fumes!

NHRA pro stock motorcycle driver eddie krawiec

The first time shooting a drag race was also my first time to a drag race. We were shooting at the Infineon Raceway in Sonoma for the Fram Autolite Nationals. After setting up in the media room, Mark, my partner in crime, quickly showed me where I was and was not allowed to stand then quickly left to the top end of the track.



Beginning the day with pro stock motorcycles allowed me to get a grasp and a strong understanding of how drags ran.

NHRA pro stock motocycle

As the pro stock cars were racing, I went back to the staging area to see what that was all about. Below was probably one of my favorite shots from the weekend. The color of pro stock driver V Gaines sunglass lenses mixed with the background created a neat shot.

NHRA pro stock driver V Gaines

Everyone had tried to prepared me for the top fuel vehicles. I had no idea what to expect. As the first cars were lining up, Mark and Richard were laughing in my radio how they should be down by me taking photos of my reaction.

After the funny cars did their burn out, I knelt below the wall and braced myself as I watched the trees lights flash. No ones description could even come close to the rush that actually occurred. The sound...the vibrations...the nitro fumes...the rush...I was surprised how well I was able to shoot funny car driver Bob Tasco III with the first few set of cars!

NHRA funny car driver Bob Tasco III

In between some of the cars another photographer, Dave Kommel, came over to tell me how I looked like I have been shooting these races for years. He said he turned around to see how I was doing and was impressed that I was "chimping" with the rest of the photographers.

NHRA funny car Ashley Force Hood

NHRA funny car, Red Line Synthetic Oil

Next were the dragsters. Definitely equally as intense. Did I mention I'm hooked?

Below Cory McClenathan's crew watches as he launches off the starting line.

NHRA top fuel dragster Cory Mclenathan

NHRA dragster burnout

NHRA dragster

Mark finally made his way down from the top end to also do some shooting in the stage lanes. Below is Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, I mean Mark and Richard.

Mark Rebilas

Getting a little chilly as the sun went down, very unexpected weather.

Jennifer Stewart
Photo by Mark Rebilas

As the sun was setting, I was anxious to shoot some flame shots. Before the sun was completely down, I adjusted my settings to see if I could get the flames with a silhouette of funny car . I was even more excited when I realized I also captured Bob Tasca III with a neat sky in the background.

NHRA funny car Bob Tasca III, flames

The next few shots are different variations and angles I ran around getting.

NHRA dragster Joe Jartley, flames, wheelie

Caught another photographers flash as Joe Hartley flies by creating a unique reflection. Just wish I also got the front of the car!

NHRA dragster Joe Jartley

NRHA dragster Antron Brown

By the end of the day, I was finally able to keep my eyes open longer then the cars reaching directly next to me. I had accomplished a full pan!

NHRA dragster night race

Saturday morning I tried moving down the to the middle of the track beside the bleachers. I was shooting with a 400 lens which was a bit too much lens for this spot and got some random stuff and half of dragsters!

Clay McClenathan catches some flames as he makes his way to the finish line.

Clay McClenathan dragster fire

NHRA Red Line Synthetic Oil dragster

wicked Quick parachutes

NHRA race

Allan Johnson's funny car always seemed to catch my eye...

NHRA Allan Johnson's funny car

One of Mark's greatest strengths is his ability to capture drivers as they are preparing for their event. As I made my way back to the staging lanes, I mentally prepared myself to shoot things the way Mark would shoot it. I still have tons to learn and work on.

Here's my favorite moment I captured of top fuel dragster driver Doug Kalitta as he suits up prior to the race.

top fuel dragster driver Doug Kalitta

Preparing the track for the top fuel vehicles.

Infineon Raceway

Cruising back from the staging lanes.

Jennifer Stewart
Photo by Richard Quattrocci

More racing.

NHRA top fuel dragster Spencer Massey

My favorite paint job belongs to funny car driver Ron Capps! I love how the car reflects off the track.

Ron Capps launches off starting line

Photobucket

As Jeff Arend's crew is getting his car ready, I noticed a light pocket the lit up his helmet perfectly. I tried to capture it with other drivers, but nothing beat this.

Photobucket

John Force watching his daughter, Ashley, as she awaits the green light.

John Force watches Ashley Force race


Sunday I posted camp on the opposite side of the bleachers that I stood on Saturday. It was perfect for the 400. Holding down my spot!

Jennifer Stewart
Photo by Will Lester

Jennifer Stewart
Photo by Mark Rebilas

Shooting the drag from this vantage point was one of my favorite spots the whole weekend. I was able to follow the vehicles from start to finish line almost flawlessly...Hand holding my new favorite lens, the 400!

NHRA dragster driver Tony Schumacher

NHRA funny car driver Ashley Force Ron Capps

NHRA dragster driver Cory McClenathan

top fuel dragster driver Mike Strasburg defeats Morgan Lucas

NHRA pro stock driver Jeg Coughlin Jr defeats Allen Johnson

NHRA pro stock motorcycle driver Andrew Hines

Mark with his great spot!!

NHRA photographer Mark Rebilas

For the final round, I switch up to the 200 lens with a 1.4 converter. I wanted to be safe and make sure that I get the whole vehicle crossing the finish line. I'm happy with the outcome.

Pro stock motorcycle driver Andrew Hines (left) defeats teammate Eddie Krawiec.

NHRA pro stock motorcycle driver Andrew Hines defeats teammate Eddie Krawiec

Pro stock driver Jason Line (left) defeats teammate Greg Anderson.

Pro stock driver Jason Line defeats teammate Greg Anderson.

Funny car driver Tim Wilkerson (left) defeats Tony Pedrego.

Funny car driver Tim Wilkerson defeats Tony Pedrego.

Top fuel dragster driver Andron Brown (right) defeats Cory McClenathan.

Top fuel dragster driver Andron Brown defeats Cory McClenathan.

For the winner's circle shot, I decide not to gather with the rest of the photographers in hopes that maybe I could get a different angle.

NHRA Fram Autolite Nationals winners circle

I found a Rhino that was chained up over to the side. With no owner in site, I jumped on and started shooting.

Jennifer Stewart shooting at winner circle
Photo by Richard Quattrocci

After a long weekend of working, Mark made me carry him to the Golden Gate Bridge since I had never been there before.

Mark and Jennifer
Photo by Dustin Snipes

Of course we had to take a group shot, but no one but us were qualified to take the photo. So Mark found a suitable post!

Mark and Jennifer


USA Today

USA Today

USA Today








3 comments:

  1. It looks like you are getting really comfortable carrying Nikon equipment. Nice shooting, keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are more interesting than Mark's.

    ReplyDelete